Monday 20 February 2012

Farewell donuts

I am giving up, or at least severely cutting back on the Dunkin' Donuts. Mainly because they are bad for my waistline, my wallet and my midmorning mood (Hello, Sugar crash!). So having decided to give up the donuts on anything but a special occasion (e.g. fancy white kreme filled heart shaped Valentine's donuts), my only reason for going to Dunkin' Donuts was to buy my nice iced coffee morning treat. However, I was basically unable to go into Dunkin' Donuts to get an iced coffee and not buy a donut or two. They have those big signs that you get in fast food joints advertising "combos" (1 bagel and a coffee $4!, 2 donuts and a coffee, $3.50!). I think I have spent too much time playing/watching people play computer games as when I see words like "combo" I kind of feel like I get more points when I get the combo. Even though clearly Dunkin' Donuts is the winner, as they get my coins, not the other way around.

Given that I do not have the will power to go to Dunkin' Donuts and just buy a coffee I needed to find a way to satisfy my need for caffeine in the morning. I have a nice pink cafetière that I use to make hot coffee on very cold days, but I tend to prefer iced coffee first thing in the morning. So I bought a special iced coffee making french press from Bodum. I like it, it's purple. I'll explain how it works properly at some later point, but the important point here is that I no longer have any excuse to go to Dunkin' Donuts (except for when there might be special edition donuts, like around St. Patrick's Day!). Thank you for the memories Dunkin'....

America runs on Dunkin'
Bye donuts... I'll miss you!

At least I have Lucky Charms and Smorz cereal at home. And Ice Cream Shoppe Pop Tarts!

Note the homemade ice coffee on the left! Victory is mine!
What are you drinkin'? Not Dunkin' anymore. I should go back and buy some coffee for brewing there. Everyone who works in there was very friendly to me, I really appreciated it when I first arrived and I would show up at Dunkin' really early in the morning because of the jetlag!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those lucky charms are far more fluoro than I remember them! Or do you think that the UK version omitted some of the chemicals?

    All the best for the new iced-coffee maker! Fascinated by how it works. I suppose it must be different from the "precipitating milkshake" efforts of 2003?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Precipitating milkshake! I had forgotten.
    The iced coffee making is much more successful that our attempts in 2003. It troubles me that it has taken me nearly a decade to successfully make iced coffee at home.
    Here is the magical iced coffee solution - http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/K11081-01/?navid=262 (mine is purple)
    I bought some Lucky Charms cereal bars that are even more fluoro than the cereal. I think you're right that they include more terrifying colours here.

    ReplyDelete