Saturday 31 March 2012

Mission accomplished - go to flour

Pre-emptive update: This post (and the triumphant completion of a challenge) dates from before the superbowl, I think it must be 4th February from looking at the dates on the photos. I think I had plans to take some photos of the actual cafe, and not just the food, but I clearly just become transfixed by the cakes whenever I go in and forget. Better late with a post than never though, right? And yes, I'm sorry it's just more blurry pictures of food. I have plans to do stuff, not just eat stuff. And I've taken to hula hooping in my bedroom, perhaps that will minimise my donut podge?

I can formally tick one thing off my list of things to do in Boston (the list on the right hand side). Obviously it's one of the ones to do with eating.

I went to flour, which is a bakery on Mass Ave, a short walk away from where I live. I met my friend there on Saturday and we were really lucky that we didn't have to wait very long for some table space to open up. They are so busy on weekends! We chose flour because it was on a boston.com list of the best hot chocolates in Boston. The fiery hot chocolate is very delicious. Initially it tastes like normal hot chocolate, and then it's suddenly a little bit chili-y. So to ease the fire-y burn you take another sip of creamy hot chocolate...and so the cycle continues until you have numbed your mouth enough to be out of the infinite duckling loop and your hot chocolate is all gone.

Hot chocolate was boring in photos. Look! A cookie in the shape of a football!


Splurgey splurge

It was the Superbowl on Sunday (i.e. the day after we went to flour), and the New Englands Patriots were playing (Go Pats!) so they also had special oreo style cookies in the shape  of American footballs. Flour's oreo style cookies are also semi-famous on yelp. However, they are crunchier than actual oreos, so you inevitably end up with some buttercream filling splurging out of the cookie. Hard to eat in a ladylike manner. Fun though! In some ways it makes me wonder why Oreos don't have this problem.... The runaway frosting was in a variety of Patriots colours, i.e. red, white and blue, as well as the not very patriots-y pink. I think we seem to have had a red one.


As well as the fiery hot chocolate, flour's other big draw is the sticky buns. They are incredible. So sticky (look at all the stickiness on the plate!) and so buttery! They almost taste like croissants they are so buttery. Yum. Yum yum yum. I'm glad that I was sharing it with my friend though as they are incredibly rich. Subsequently I have eaten a sticky bun for dinner from flour (it's on my way home!) and although it is possible to eat all of one, it is not necessarily advisable if you are not very hungry. 

Noms
Flour runs bakery classes, and also has it's own cookbook, so there is no reason for me to keep going there... I could make a (probably vain) attempt to learn how to make their delicious treats. But going to flour is such a delicious treat that I don't want to give it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment