Saturday 28 January 2012

Hot fudge sundae ice cream shoppe pop tarts

I know that pictures of food bought in a supermarket and consumed in my room don't quite fit the premise of the blog, i.e. that blogging will force me to explore Boston. However, I propose that eating food which is so very colourful is a *type* of exploring. 



They contain 8 vitamins and minerals, so are clearly good for me. There's even a helpful graphic on the box drawing my attention to it, so it has to be a good fact. I find it really funny that they actually contain the same number of vitamins as the number of toaster pastries that you get in a packet. Even better, there are fewer vitamins and minerals in the pop tarts than there are added colours, of which there are 9 with names like Blue #2 Lake and one hopefully more natural one -  "Caramel Color". 

Let's look at what's actually in a pop tart in more detail.... I am worried I should have left this until I had finished the packet. The 8 vitamins and minerals (plus and one extra) that you get are (with RDA in brackets); Vitamin A (10%), Vitamin C (10%), Calcium (10%), Iron (10%), Thiamin (10%), Riboflavin (10%), Niacin (10%), Vitamin B6 (10%), and Folic acid (10%). Why are they all at 10%? What are the chances? Is it a rounding thing? Does the nutritional information just have to show everything to the nearest 10%? Also, note the swooshy white thing in the picture saying a pop tart is a good source of calcium. I find this surprising, as even if you eat 2 pop tarts for breakfast you only get 20% of your calcium. At least you also get 20% of your calorie allowance too, so you're not out of balance. In fact, if you only ate pop tarts for those 2000 calories you would get 100% of the previously listed vitamins and minerals! And 100% of your saturated fat allowance! You'd also need to buy another packet of pop tarts as they only contain 8 "toaster pastries". 

I sensibly only ate one of the crazy pop tarts. Although I did eat it for pudding and not for breakfast, so I probably lose some health points there (maybe lose some *more* health points, as I must already be down for just consuming pop tarts). Once it was out of the packet it was clear why there were so many colours on the ingredients list. 



I mean, look at the sprinkles! So neon. It was impossible to really take a picture of the insides, but they were pleasingly filled with a mild vanilla-ry cream like substance (probably a kreme) and not some kind of rainbow explosion. I am relieved that my dental insurance card has come now, because even though I don't intend to buy any more pop tarts I feel that 16 of these guys might do some damage. Strangely the box doesn't announce that 12g of sugar is 30% of my maximum sugar allowance. At least they have 10% of my daily calcium in them though, to fight the tooth decay.

Does instagram make it more palatable? You can pretend the colour comes from a hipster filter...

I mean, good grief! I must never eat pop tarts without also drinking a glass of milk and brushing my teeth sharpish. 

I wonder how long the packet will last? What do you think? 
As a guide, the Lucky Charms are now all gone, so pop tarts are the sweetest breakfast foodstuff available. But they are also a bit too sweet. And a bit nasty.

P.S. Do you like the way the MacBook makes a pretty pop tart background? It owes me after being so expensive this week. Stupid new battery.  

P.P.S. Soft kitty! Homesick is a type of being sick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment