Monday 2 April 2012

It was summer for two days in March

Ten days ago it was 28 degrees C! 82 F! On a Thursday in the middle of MARCH!! I bought a comforter on the 28 degree day and the man in Macy's laughed at me (justifiably, and in a friendly way). His precise words were "A comforter?! In THIS weather?!!?". Unsurprisingly, the comforter was on sale. And now it's below freezing, so who is having the last laugh? Me! That's who! 
The result of the record breaking weather that we've been having is that it looks completely and utterly like spring now! Despite the new coldish snap, the trees have committed to spring very whole heartedly and it is beautiful! But risky for the trees. 

Blossom, cheery bridge graffiti and sunset from the Esplanade, with MIT visible over the river
Here is a collection of the pretty blossom-y photos that I took when in first got pretty, nearly two weeks ago now! (The pink trees I made a special trip across the river to take photos of, because I spied them from the Cambridge side. Just a little bundle of pink level with the Prudential Center, you can see then in the south west photo of the collage below).

Apparently the buses always wish us a nice day, but I didn't notice that until the weather became beautiful. The magnolias are on Commonwealth Avenue, in the Back Bay.
It's cold again now (where cold means that wearing ballet pumps is a mistake, even in sunshine. I didn't realise that last Monday morning). It was even meant to snow at the weekend (I wore my Boston coat), and it hailed today! Let's remember warmer times, when I could wear my sunniest of sundresses and flip flops, and when the blossom had not been pelted by hail until it was driven from the trees. 

Boats on the totally not frozen Charles (Explorer not for scale), Instagramed blossom on the Esplanade and pretty, pretty blossom outside the Walker memorial
PS I'm wearing heart-shaped sunglasses in that photo, not because they are fabulous (although they are!), but mainly because my regular pair are broken. You now what else is broken? MY KINDLE!!!! Electronic devices continue to be falling like flies. Do not lend me anything that you value, because I am clearly still the destroyer of electrical things (not worlds, not yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment