Monday 5 March 2012

Happenings in the Infinite Corridor (nearly!) - MIT turns purple

On my walk home this evening I noticed that lobby 7 seemed different.
There was no disembodied voice talking about MIT because the "Under the Dome" video screen was broken, but that was not it.
Instead the mood felt different.
Then I looked up....

The middle bit is kind of turquoise. I would totally keep the dome like this all the time. 

....the dome was purple!! 
And hard to photograph. I was not the only person repeatedly waving my phone above my head.

Then I left lobby 7 I saw that the symbol dude (or, more properly, Alchemist) was also pinky purple.

You can see the pinky purple ceiling of the dome through the entrance to MIT. I also particularly like the Pi themed graffiti on the Symbol Dude. Not that I am pro graffiti, but I like the fact that MIT graffiti is nerdy.

Unexpected. But just what I needed at the end of a long day arguing with compilers. 
Of course, people didn't turn MIT purple to cheer me up. I hope it is a statement for marriage equality, and will keep an eye on the Tech to confirm/deny my suspicions.
Update: It's actually been turned purple for the Relay for Life according to the Tech. The Tech also has a much better picture! You should click through and have a look-see.

This is one of the things I really like about MIT. There are these big shared spaces that get creatively decorated for a whole variety of reasons. Not only is it a sign of an engaged community, which considerately draws attention to the causes it is passionate about, but it always makes walking around campus an interesting experience.

Embiggened hipster (i.e. instagrammed) symbol dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment