Wednesday 7 March 2012

Happenings in the Infinite Corridor - Divided by a common language

Being in a different Cambridge can be confusing, but also reassuring. There are lots of very similar street names, with my personal favourite being Sidney Street, for obvious reasons. However, there are also common words, like "punt" which have completely different meanings in different Cambridges.

Here is punting in Cambridge, England.
Oh my goodness! We all look so YOUNG! Photos from the time of film.
Here is my understanding of punting in Cambridge, MA. Or at least Cambridge, MIT.
Every day I'm facebooking.
Here is what the MIT admission blog's MIT-ese bit says about punting:

"punt (v.) - (1) To slack off, e.g. by checking Facebook, playing Rock Band, or blogging; often contrasted with tool (v.) (2) To skip something, e.g. a problem set or meeting ("I'm so hosed with 8.022, I'm going to have to punt this 7.013 pset..."); generally bad things happen to students who punt too often."

I didn't know that when I saw this sign in the infinite corridor though. So I was confused. Mainly confused about how you would punt in the traditional British Cambridge way in the Charles, as it is MASSIVE, particularly compared to the Cam.

Punt more and kick back - good advice

Then I found that the sign had some friends.
I became one of the annoying people in the infinite corridor that stops dead and causes near collisions. Let's pretend that's why all the photos are so blurry.

"Ignore alarms and cook on" = Maybe something about setting off fire alarms in dorms?
"Long nights and infinite corridors" = MIT in a nutshell?
I think that the posters had something to do with the engineering department, but my Googling has turned up nothing to that effect. Let me know if you have any more luck than I did.
My Googling did find this poster though, which I encourage you to click through to, because it is the best of all the MIT "Keep Calm" style posters.

1 comment:

  1. Punting = slacking off, which I guess is sort of true in some sense for both Cambridges? ;-) hee hee. Like the cooking sign.

    ReplyDelete