Tuesday 3 April 2012

Ahoy there, Happenings in the Infinite Corridor

First day back after Spring Break and what happens? MIT becomes all MIT-y again.

All aboard the fail boat?
So yeah, there's just a sail boat in lobby ten (under the dome of Killian Court, here's a map to help you out).

Just in case you were in any doubt, here is a more close up photo of the boat. I think it has a rudder?
"Why is there a sail boat in lobby ten?" is what I guess you are wondering.....

I asked this very question at lunch of my officemates, and later of the internet, and apparently it's because the MIT sailing pavilion is now open. Beginners sailing for students starts on April 3rd. I'm guessing that the boat is one of the tech dinghies, but boats are not one of my special Mastermind topics. Or even something I have read about on Wikipedia.

Interesting boat-related MIT fact - the students who complete the sailing, fencing, pistol shooting and archery courses offered by MIT can now formally receive their "pirate certificate" from the physical education people.

“Ahoy, Avast, and finally, Arrrrrr!’’

P.S. Lobby ten is the place where I see people juggling on a Friday evening. I may have mentioned this to some of you IRL as it confused me. I checked the MIT calendar and a) The juggling people are in the MIT calendar every nearly Friday afternoon/evening and b) If you try and juggle they will give you a cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment